We can’t sell you flying carpets, but we can tell you these 17 hacks that will make travelling just as easy and so much more enjoyable.
1. Roll your clothes while packing, instead of folding them. No, this is not a myth the space saved is quite measurable. It presses out air pockets and stretches out wrinkles, compactly packing all your clothes.
2. Reuse plastic packaging of home items or cling wrap to cover the mouths of your toiletries before screwing their caps on, to prevent them from leaking and creating a mess in your luggage.
3. Travel light and pack fewer clothes. Carry clothes that dry quickly so that washing them in the night will give you a crisp set to wear in the morning. Nylons, polyesters, rayons and cotton-polyester blended fabrics can be your saviours.
4. Keep scanned copies of your important documents in electronic form. Mail yourself a copy too, just to be doubly sure.
5. Split your cash and stash them in different places.
6. Carry lots of plastic bags and newspapers. There is no end to their utility!
7. Instead of buying a new bottle of water at the airport because you cannot carry water through security, carry an empty travel bottle and refill it after checking in. Save an empty bottle and do your bit for the environment.
8. Gear up your phone with the right apps and it can be your best friend while travelling. From maps and restaurants to flight trackers and language translators, your smart phones will have them all.
9. Delete unwanted tourists from your pictures with this simple Photoshop trick. Click a dozen pictures of the same spot with an interval of 10 seconds. Open Photoshop, go to File?Scripts?Statistics. Select ‘Median’ and check ‘Attempt to automatically align source images’. ‘Browse’ and select your set of pictures and click ‘Ok’. Photoshop will preserve the static and remove all things that change between your set of shots. You will be left with just the memories you want to cherish!
10. Carry medicines to handle any unprecedented sickness. Pack in your first aid supplies, pain killers, antacids, antifungal/ antibacterial creams, prescription drugs, antibiotics prescribed by the doctor for ailments like motion sickness, cough, flu, fever and allergy.
11. Pack a scarf. They are light weight and take up no space at all. Use it to jazz up your outfit, to keep you warm, as a protection against the dust, as a towel and as an eye mask while sleeping.
12. Customise your luggage so they are easily spotted during baggage claim. Use different coloured duct tape on handles, coloured ribbons or charms and make that boring bag lively!
13. Pack a snack for when your ‘tummy rumbles’ at an unearthly hour.
14. Wake up early for- the early bird does catch the worm. It’s the best time to have your destination all to yourself without the hustle bustle of other tourists. Call your first dibs on all things the place has to offer.
15. Carry a journal and preserve those cherished memories forever!
16. User review websites have changed the way we now plan a holiday. Make best use of them. But remember to use discretion- see if the reviewer shares your temperament, check how recently the review was posted and look out for any shared photographs. Follow a traveller blogger and shoot him personal queries for his insights.
17. Send postcards! You will not only stay in touch with family and friends, but also give them the joy of receiving mail. Also don’t forget to keep in constant contact with a family member throughout and share your itinerary with them.
Source: NDTV Good Times